Can I Have my Juvenile Record Sealed?

This is a question many people want to know, especially when they have gotten into trouble in their younger years. As with any type of criminal record, it could impact your ability to move forward in the future. Juvenile records can be sealed, but there are some instances where this does not apply.
Why should I seal my records?
• Criminal juvenile records could potentially affect your ability to get a job.
• People cannot judge you for something they have no knowledge of.
What can stop my records from being sealed?
There are a few things that can stop your juvenile records from being sealed. The following will not allow you to start a petition to seal your record:
• If you are currently on probation.
• If you are currently involved in criminal proceedings
• If you have been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor involving moral turpitude as an adult.
• If you were transferred and convicted as an adult.
What is moral turpitude?
This means you have violated the moral standards of your community and involves crimes of theft, drugs, fraud or sexually related cases.
What records cannot be sealed?
Records for any crime where a juvenile is convicted as an adult.
How can I seal my records?
In order to seal your records in Florida, you must apply to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) for a Certificate of Eligibility. You must complete the application and have it signed by a notary. You will then have to be fingerprinted. Additionally, you must provide a certified copy of the disposition of the case.
This will get the process started in having your records sealed, but there are many more documents and hearings that you must attend. It is a lengthy process but will be well worth it if you accomplish your goal. Having the right attorney to guide you through this difficult process is critical. If there is any missing documentation or forms, your application will be rejected and you will have to start the process over.
Do not let your past deter your future; Attorney James Davis is well-versed in criminal legal matters and can work on your behalf to get your records sealed. If you are eligible to get your records sealed, do it! Take the time to speak to an attorney and get the help you need. With the help of James Davis, your dream can become a reality. Contact the office today!

Leave a Comment