What Should I Do if I Miss My Court Date?

Missing a court date is not the most responsible way to handle charges against you. Depending on why you’re going to court, there may be a number of options. If you inadvertently miss your scheduled court date, you can be charged with failing to appear. As a result, the following may happen:

  • Fines
  • Jail Time
  • Suspension of your license
  • Revocation of your bond

Here are a few tips:
If you have a court date for a criminal offense and are out on bond and miss the court date, the judge will immediately issue a warrant for your arrest, unless you have representation that can explain why you are not there. Even if you do have an attorney, your presence may be warranted and you may be held in contempt.

If you receive a notice to appear (NTA) from a court of law, you need to immediately contact your attorney. These are very serious documents and most likely will involve having you arrested. A good attorney can help you protect your rights. Do not go to the courthouse without representation or documents to explain why your absence was necessary. In the event you do have to go to jail, your attorney may be able to negotiate a bond or get your charges dropped. It’s important to know the law and how it operates to avoid getting caught in the system.

Take the time to protect yourself. Do your research. Talk to a trusted advisor or attorney and prepare yourself for situations that may occur. No one likes going to court or jail, but knowing how to navigate will put you on safer ground. Having an attorney on speed dial, or knowing which one to call when you need legal counsel is key in ensuring you are treated fairly within the court system. Too many individuals fall through the cracks because they did not know what to do or where to go, or even worse waited to see what would happen.

Don’t leave situations like your freedom in someone else’s hands. Get an attorney and be properly prepared for any outcome. Our law office can help! Contact attorney James Davis to handle all your court cases and provide fair, thorough representation. Give the office a call at 904-358-0420, or contact us via our contact page.

Leave a Comment