What to do if you see police misconduct in Florida

However, there are some things you can do to protect yourself including:
Make a complete record – one of the best things you can do to help your case is to write down everything you remember about the incident immediately. The more “removed” you are from the incident, the more likely you are to forget important details. Remember, nothing is unimportant.
Contact a Jacksonville criminal attorney – no matter how minor you feel the violation is, contact a criminal defense attorney in Jacksonville immediately. An attorney that has experience with police misconduct cases can review your notes and interview you for additional details. This will also help protect your rights. Keep in mind, you should do this whether you were arrested or not.
File a report – with the help of your Jacksonville defense attorney, a misconduct or grievance report should be filed. It is important to stick completely to the facts of the case when this report is filed and I can help you work out all of the details.

When you feel trapped

It is important to keep in mind your safety is of utmost importance when you feel you are being intimidated and witnessing police misconduct. Misconduct comes in many forms including:
Unfair warrants – if you feel a police officer has lied to get a search warrant, this may be considered under the Florida police misconduct codes.
Misrepresentation and perjury – sometimes police officers lie under oath to get to the outcome they want. This type of misrepresentation can have serious consequences for you, and as a criminal defense attorney in Jacksonville, FL, I have seen cases where this happens.

If you believe you have identified a legitimate case of police misconduct, contact Attorney James Davis at (904) 358-0420 for help. The sooner you call, the better the potential outcome. Keep in mind, even if you have not been arrested, you may still need my help.

Leave a Comment